November 23rd Current Affairs
Guru Nanak Jayanti or Gurpurab and Kartik Purnima is being celebrated with religious fervour today.
- The day marks the birth of the first Sikh Guru, Guru Nanak, who laid the foundation of Sikhism.
- On this day, Sikh devotees around the world offer prayers.
- This year marks the 549th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev.
- This expansion of CGD network will benefit industrial and commercial units by ensuring the uninterrupted supply of natural gas.
- It will also expand the potential coverage of CGDs to about 50 percent of the country’s population, spreading over 35 percent of the area.
- Around 46.5 lakh households and 32 lakh CNG vehicles are currently availing the benefit of clean fuel through existing CGD network.
- The meeting was co-chaired by the Defence ministers of the 2 countries.
- Earlier to attending the DMD, the Singaporean minister attended the final phase of 25th Singapore-India Maritime Bilateral ExerciseSIMBEX on board INS Shakti.
- International Union against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union)released the agenda to host the 4-day 50th Union World Conference on Lung Health in Hyderabad on 30 October – 2 November 2019.
- The conference theme will be: “Ending the Emergency: Science, Leadership, Action”.
- It would be held after the first ever United Nations (UN) High-Level Meeting on TB and the third UN High-Level Meeting on non-communicable diseases.
Gujarat launches Rs 351-cr project to conserve Gir lions
- Gujarat government launched a Rs 351-croreproject for the conservation of the Asiatic lions, after the Canine Distemper Virus (CDV) outbreak, in the next five
- The project also includes an emergency ambulance van akin to the 108 emergency service.
- It also includes a ‘state of the art’ veterinary hospital to be built at Rs 50 crore in Sasan Gir
- Additionally, a special veterinary cadre of 120personnel will be created for the conservation of lions.
- Uttar Pradesh Government recently launched Women Empowerment Resolution Campaign to develop leadership capacities in women and make them vocal for their rights.
- It was launched by Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath in Lucknow on November 20, 2018.
- Aim of Women Empowerment Resolution Campaign : To ensure the empowerment of women through different programs in the state.
- Issues like education, self-employment, health, sanitation and nutrition will be included under this campaign.
- 4-day 12thbiennial World Congress on Mountain Medicine commenced in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- The theme of the congress was “Mountain Medicine in the Heart of the Himalayas”.
- The flagship event of the International Society for Mountain Medicine (ISMM)was held for the first time in Nepal and hosted by Mountain Medicine Society of Nepal (MMSN).
The 26th meeting of the General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM) was recently at Palais des Congrés, Versailles, France
- CGPM is the highest international body of the world for accurate and precise measurements.
- The CGPM comprises 60 countries including India and 42 Associate Members.
India was represented by :
- Avinash K. Srivastava, Secretary, Department of Consumer Affairs, Government of India
- D. K. Aswal, Director, National Physical Laboratory(NPL), New Delhi
- T.D. Senguttuvan, Head Planning, Monitoring & Evaluation, NPL.
- This meeting was very special and historic as the members have voted for the redefinition of 130 years old “Le grand K – the SI unit of kg” in terms of the fundamental Planck’s constant (h).
Indian embassy in Nepal and CII organized 3-day exhibition ConMac 2018 in Nepal
- Embassy of Indiain Nepal and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) organized a 3-day exhibition of construction equipment and technology-ConMac 2018 in Bhaktapur near Kathmandu, Nepal.
- It was inaugurated Nepal’s Minister for Physical Infrastructure and Transport Raghubir Mahaseth.
- Ambassador of India to Nepal Manjeev Singh Puri will be the Guest of Honour.
- The exhibition aims to further enhance high level engagement between construction industries of the two countries.
CCEA approves extension of norms for mandatory packaging in Jute Materials
- The government has approved to expand the scope of mandatory packaging norms under Jute Packaging Material (JPM) Act, 1987.
- It has approved that 100% of the food grains and 20% of sugar shall be mandatorily packed in diversified jute bags.
- Initially 10% of indents of jute bags for packing foodgrains will be placed through reverse auction on GEM portal.
HDFC ERGO General Insurance set up remote sensing lab for crop insurance
- HDFC ERGO General Insuranceset up a remote sensing lab for crop insurance.
This will help in early detection of information and will be used to alert the farmers.
- The lab will work on accurately assessing the risks of the insurers and will also be able to give early warnings about the losses.
- Furthermore, a specialist in the area of remote sensing to look into the data and assess the information so that predictions can be made.
- This will enable scanning of the area through the use of satellite to get better information of the region.
EIB, SBI expand cooperation in wind energy financing
- European Investment Bank (EIB)and State Bank of India (SBI) agreed to cooperate on financing renewable energyand wind energy projects across India.
- This collaboration will be under the dedicated EUR 600 millionrenewable energy financing programme which supports large-scale solar investment across the country.
- EIB also approved a new line of credit worth USD 100 millionto Yes Bank to boost private investment in clean energy projects.
- Furthermore, the EIB announced to host the 1stoffshore wind investment conference in New Delhi.
J&K Bank to be brought under purview of RTI as per guidelines of CVC and J&K State Legislature: Governor of J&K
- Chief Vigilance Commissioner (CVC)guidelines and the State Legislature, the Jammu and Kashmir bank was brought under the purview of the Right to Information (RTI) act.
- The decision was taken by the State Administrative Council (SAC) chaired by Governor Satya Pal Malik.
- The objective of the decision was to strengthen better corporate governance.
Former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba announces retirement at 40
- 40 years old Former Chelsea striker Didier Drogbaannounced his retirement after a career of 20 years. He began his career at French side Le Mans in 1998.
- Irovian Footballer, Didier Drogba had been playing for Phoenix Risingin United States. He had won four Premier League titles in his 20 years career.
- Didier Drogba had made 100 appearances for Ivory Coast. He has also voted African Footballer of the year
Veteran first-class cricketer Wasim Jaffer became the 1st Indian batsman to touch the 11,000-run figure in the Ranji Trophy.
- The Vidharbha batsman achieved the milestone during the 3rd-round match against Baroda in Nagpur at the Vidarbha Cricket Association (VCA) Stadium, Nagpur, Maharashtra.
India winner of 3rd edition of UN Environment award for combating transboundary environmental crime
- United Nation Environment awarded Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB),Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Government of India with the 3rd Asia Environment Enforcement Awards, 2018 for combating transboundary environmental crime.
- Decided by a selection panel set up by the UN Environment, this is the second timein a row India is the recipient of the awards are being given by UN Environment.
National Academy of Sciences India (NASI) SCOPUS Young Scientist Awards 2018 Winners List :
- Agriculture, Plant Sciences and Rural Development : Jitender Giri, National Institute of Plant Genome Research, New Delhi.
- Biomedical Research and Healthcare : Maddika Subba Reddy, Group Leader and Staff Scientist- V, CDFD, Hyderabad.
- Environmentally Sound Sustainable Development : Vimal Chandra Srivastava, Indian Institute of Technology-Roorkee, Roorkee.
- Innovation in Engineering and Physical Sciences : Ajay S. Karakoti, Associate Professor, Ahmedabad University, Ahmedabad.
- Women in Science : Zhumur Ghosh, Bose Institute, Kolkata.
Amitabh Bachchan honoured with Sayaji Ratna Award for contribution to social causes
- Bollywood Actor Amitabh Bachchan was awarded the 3rd Sayaji Ratna Award, established in the memory of erstwhile Baroda ruler Sayajirao Gaekwad III.
- The Baroda Management Association had, in 2013, instituted the award to mark the 150th birth anniversary of the ruler, known for undertaking major social reform measures during his rule in the early twentieth century.
Noted Indian classical musician Ustad Imrat Khan dies at 83 in US
- Indian classical music doyen, Ustad Imrat Khan, a musical virtuoso of the sitar and surbahar, has passed away in St Louis, United States at the age of 83 after a stroke.
- The son of Ustad Enayat Khan and younger brother of Ustad Vilayat Khan, Ustad Imrat Khan was a legend in his own right.
Former MP Baishnab Parida passes away at the age of 77
- Prominent Politician, writer and Promoter of Odia Language Baishnab Charan Paridapasses away following a prolonged illness in Bhubaneswar at an age of 77.
- The Senior Leader Baishnab Parida was elected to the Rajya Sabha in July 2010 and his term ended in July 2016. He had been fighting to bring Odisha Official Language Act, 1954.