Andhra Pradesh has topped the list of states with the highest employability as per the India Skills Report 2019.
- It is a joint initiative of Wheebox, a Global Talent Assessment Company, PeopleStrong, a leading HR Tech Company and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), and supported and backed by renowned partners like United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
- The employability levels of Tech / B.E have increased across all the sectors, touching a new high of 63.11 per cent (it was 42.08 per cent last year).
- The emplopyability levels of MBA and polytechnic stood low between 47.18 per cent and 45.90 per cent.
Top 3 states in India Skills Report 2019
- Andhra Pradesh
Complaint portal ‘SHe-Box’ of WCD Ministry linked to central, state ministries for speedy disposal of cases
- Ministry of Women and Child Developmentlinked the workplace sexual harassment complaint portal, SHe-Box,to all the Central Ministries, Departments and 653 districts across 33 States/Union Territories, for speedy disposal of cases.
- The cases would be directed to the concerned the central/ state authority having the jurisdiction to take the rightful action.
- The complaints would be monitored by the complainants and Ministry WCD ensuring prompt disposal of cases.
- The Ministry also published a Handbook and Training Module on the SH Actto provide information about the provisions of the Act.
- As many as 223 institutes/organisations have been empanelled to conduct awareness exercises and training in local languages on the provisions of the Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013.
Maharashtra government passed bill to amend the anti-adulteration law
- Maharashtragovernment passed the bill to amend the anti-adulteration law.
- According to the amendments, life imprisonment and heavy penalty will be awarded to curb food and milk adulteration.
- Also, the adulteration offence will be cognizable and non-bailable.
AAI cancelled UDAN license of Air Odisha and suspended operations in 7 airports due to poor performance
- Airports Authority of India (AAI)cancelled the UDAN (Ude Desh ka Aam Nagrik) licence of low-cost carrier Air Odisha for seven airports for poor and irregular services.
- The 7 airports are — Jharsuguda, Raipur, Raigarh, Bilaspur, Ambikapur, Jagdalpur and Visakhapatnam.
- The flight services to the eastern regions, including Odisha, Chhattisgarh, Andhra Pradesh and Jharkhand, by this carrier have also been suspended.
- The reason behind the suspension being their failure to operate minimum 70 percent of the scheduled flights from these airports within a period of three months.
Government to set up a domestic Gold Council in India for promotion of growth in the jewellery sector
- Union Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhuannounced government’s intention to set up a domestic Gold Council in India for the growth in the jewellery sector.
- This was announced on the inauguration of the 2nd Edition of India Gold and Jewellery Summitin New Delhi.
- It will have representations from all stakeholders including artisans, traders, miners, and purifiers.
- The objective of the council is to constitute an integrated Gold policy to address all the issues faced by the sector.
- The commerce and the Finance Ministry will be working together in this regard.
- This will help make sure that gems and jewellery business does not suffer from financial issues and would also extend domestic support to the exports.
Monaco to host 2019 Laureus Awards on February 18 2019
- The ‘Oscars of sports’, the Laureus World Sports Awards 2019 will be held in Monaco on February 18 next year. Sport’s premier global awards ceremony will celebrate the best of 2018 across eight individual and team categories, with the winners collecting a prized Laureus Statuette.
- Sports fans around the world will also get to play their part by voting for the Laureus Sporting Moment of the Year Award. Former India cricket captains Kapil Dev, Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar are members of the Laureus Academy.
- Last year, tennis Player Roger Federer won the Laureus Sportsman of the Year award for a record fifth time, while Serena Williams won the Sportswoman of the Year recognition for the fourth time.
Govt authorises public sector bank CEOs to request for look-out circulars against wilful defaulters
- The Ministry of Home Affairs has authorised Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) of Public Sectors Banks to request for lookout circulars against wilful defaulters in order to prevent them from leaving the country.
- This move will enable public sector banks to inform authorities to stop defaulters from fleeing even before a First Information Report is registered.
- This comes after a recommendation from a committee headed by Financial Services Secretary Rajiv Kumar.
Ujjivan Small Finance Bank launches personal loan facility for salaried individuals
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank, a wholly owned subsidiary of Ujjivan Financial Services Limited, launched personal loan facility for salaried professionals making it the 1st small finance bank in India to offer this.
- The personal loan will be available for salaried professionals who are earning a monthly salary above Rs 15,000.
- Individuals can avail loans starting from Rs 50,000 up to Rs 15 lakhs.
India GDP to slow down marginally, but remain strong at 7.5% in 2019 & 2020: OECD
- On 21st November 2018 the Organization for Economic Cooperation & Development (OECD) released its Economic Outlook 2018 report and said growth in India will hold up relatively well, and predicted GDP at market prices to decline marginally to 7.3% in 2019 and 7.4% in 2020 from 7.5% in 2018.
Mary Kom becomes first female boxer to win 6 gold medals at World Championships
- India’s Mary Kom has become the 1st ever boxer to win six AIBA Women’s World Boxing Championship titles.
- She achieved the feat by defeating Hanna Okhota (Ukraine) in the final of the 48-kg category in Delhi today.
- She had previously won world championship gold medals in 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008 and 2010.
World T20 renamed as T20 World Cup
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) today announced that the World T20 will be called T20 World Cup from the 2020 edition onwards.
- The renaming of the event is aimed at cementing the importance this event holds in the international cricket calendar and ensuring parity across all three formats of the game
Indian Cricketer Pravin Tambe: First Player in the history of T10 league to pick up a hat-trick
- 47 years old Indian Cricketer Pravin Tambe became the first player to pick up a hat-trick in the history of cricket’s newest format T-10 League. Playing for Sindhis, He picked 5 wickets in his two-over spell by giving just 15 runs against Kerala Knights. His performance helped Sindhis beat Kerala Knights by nine wickets.
- He had played for Rajasthan Royals in the Indian Premier League (IPL) under the captainship of veteran player Rahul Dravid.
- The tournament began on 21st November 2018 in United Arab Emirates (UAE).
A.N. Patil to be conferred with Kuncha Kala Tapasvi Award for his life time achievement
- senior artist Mr. A. N. Patil was announced to be the recipient of the Kuncha Kala Tapasvi Award, in the category of Lifetime Achievement, instituted by the Chitrakala Shilpi D.V. Halbhavi National Memorial Trust in Dharwad, Karnataka.
Former Hockey Forward Sandeep Michael dies
- 3 years old Former Indian Hockey player Sandeep Michael who captained Indian Junior hockey team to Asia cup gold in 2003 died due to an unspecified neurological problem. He was also a part of Indian development teams that won gold and bronze respectively in Akbar-el-Yom Cup competition in 2002 and 2003.
- He made his debut as a junior in Under-18 Asia Cup at Ipoh, Malaysia under the leadership of Jugraj Singh.
- He was admitted to hospital on 18th November following a brain problem and slipped into coma.