International Gita Festival, 2018 to be held in Kurukshetra
- The International Gita Festival 2018 will be organised in Kurukshetra in Haryana from December 7 to 23, 2018.
- The objective behind this event is to spread the message of Gita to world
- To boost Intellectual Property Right (IPR) culture in indigenous defence industry, the Union Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman launched ‘Mission Raksha Gyan Shakti’ in New Delhi.
- It was instituted by Department of Defence Production as part of the ongoing initiatives to enhance self-reliance in defence.
- Aim of Mission Raksha Gyan Shakti : To provide a boost to IPR culture in indigenous defence industry.
- Tamil Nadu Police has banned officials below the rank of sub-inspector from using mobile phones while on an important duty.
CSIR to establish a High-End Skill Development Centre in Chandigarh
- India’s premier National Research Laboratory CSIR-Institute of Microbial Technology (CSIR-IMTECH)announced a new partnership with Merck, a leading German science and technology company, to establish a ‘High End Skill Development Centre’ in CSIR-IMTECH, Chandigarh.
- This ‘High End Skill Development Centre’ will enrich skills by conducting workshops, trainingsand seminar series on cutting edges life science processes, tools and techniques.
- Equipped with the next generation technologies, like gene editing & single-molecule biomarker detection, the centre will help accelerate healthcare research and train Indian students and researchers in latest life science technologies and make them industry ready.
NITI Aayog Organises Capacity Building Programme for Urban Water Management
- On November 26, 2018, NITI Aayogin collaboration with the Singapore Cooperation Enterprise (SCE) & Temasek Foundation (TF) Internationalorganized the 2nd Phase of Urban Management Programme on ‘Water Recycling and Reuse’ at India Habitat Centre in New Delhi.
- This event was in accordance to an MOU signed by the NITI Aayog and TF Internationalto develop recycled water as part of sustainable and diverse water portfolio
- The event focused on capacity building programme on management of water, particularly its recycling & reuse, and its importance for future urban planning and policy.
- 8States/UTs were selected for the capacity building workshops through a Challenge Method. They were –Uttar Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Punjab, Chhattisgarh, Karnataka, Meghalaya, Puducherry and West Bengal.
Intense Diplomacy at G20 Summit Punctuates PM Modi’s Hectic Campaign Schedule
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi left for Argentina to attend the G20 summit on November 28.
- He will return on December 02.
- Modi will be speaking on Digital Revolution in India, Ayushman Bharat programme, Soil Health Card and other Central government schemes besides Risk posed by volatility in oil prices and terrorism at the summit.
- PM will also hold bilateral meetings with several leaders like Chinese President Xi Jinping, US President Donald Trump, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres on the margins of the G-20. He will be holding a bilateral meeting with .
- The BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) head of states will also meet in the margins of G20.
Sustainable Blue Economy Conference held in Nairobi, Kenya
- This conference was organized by Kenya and cohosted by Japan and Canada.
- Theme of Sustainable Blue Economy Conference 2018 : ‘The Blue Economy and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.’
Nepal launches Social Security Scheme for formal sector workers
- On November 27, 2018, Nepal government launched a contribution based Social Security Scheme for formal sector workers in Kathmandu. It was inaugurated by PM of Nepal, KP Sharma Oli.
- The scheme has been introduced to address that issue of accountability of the state to its people.
- The scheme will be compulsorily applicable to formal sector workers and will be further extended to informal sector workers
EAM Sushma Swaraj On A 2-Day Visit To Laos
- On November 22-23, 2018, External Affairs Minister of India, Smt. Sushma Swaraj, paid a 2-day Official Visit to Lao People’s Democratic Republic (Lao PDR).
- She co-chaired the 9th India-Lao PDR Joint Commission Meetingalong with E. Mr. Saleumxay Kommasith, Foreign Minister of Lao PDR
- They held constructive discussions covering cooperation in agriculture, trade and investment, defence, education, culture, information technology, energy and mining.
Sebi fines brokerage firm Anand Rathi
- Markets regulatorSEBI (Securities and Exchange Board of India) has fined brokerage house Anand Rathi Rs 1 lakh for violating stock broker norms by transferring funds from the client’s account to own account and vice versa on several occasions.
- In an order, the regulator stated that Anand Rathi Shares and Stock Brokers has mixed-up client’s funds with its own funds and vice versa and thereby acted in contravention of SEBI(Stock Brokers and Sub-Brokers) Regulations.
SBI increases fixed deposit (FD) interest rates. Check latest rates here
- India’s largest bank State Bank of India (SBI) has increased Fixed Deposit (FD) interest rates for select maturity periods with effect from today.
- FDs below ₹1 crore with maturity period of one to two years will fetch 6.8% as compared to 6.7% earlier. The interest rate on FDs with maturity period of two to three years has been hiked from 6.75% to 6.8%.
Odisha Hockey Men’s World Cup 2018 Inaugurated at Kalinga Stadium
- On 27thNovember, 2018 the 14thedition of Hockey Men’s World Cup kicked off with a grand opening ceremony at the Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneshwar, Odisha.
- Chief Minister of Odisha Naveen Patnaikdeclared the Hockey World Cup open. The event is being held from 28thNovember to 16th December 2018.
Manav Thakkar settles for bronze in Belarus Open
- On November 16 2018, India’s Manav Thakkar settled for a bronze medal in the U-21 Men’s singles category in the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF)Challenge Belgosstrakh Belarus Open held in Minsk, Belarus.
National Projects Construction Corporation Limited NPCC conferred with the status of Miniratna
- TheGovernment of Indiaconferred the National Projects Construction Corporation Limited (NPCC) with the status of Miniratna: Category –I. This status will empower the company to take speedy decisions.
- One of the premier construction companies, NPCC has also been awarded the ISO 9001:2015 Certification.
- The National Projects Construction Corporation Limited (NPCC), is a schedule ‘B’ Central Public Sector Enterprise (CPSE) under the administrative control of Ministry of Water Resources and was incorporated in 1957.
- Stephen Hillenburg, the creator of SpongeBob SquarePants, has passed away at the age of 57. He was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis(ALS), also known as motor neurone disease (MND), in March 2017.
- He was also honoured with a special Emmy “for his contribution and impact made in the animation field and within the broadcast industry” in early 2018.